Prep 15 mins
Cook 33 mins
This is another recipe which is lower in carbs than most, I have said before I have been trying to cook lower carb meals recently as per my hubby's request. This fine by me as it gives me a chance to eat a bit lighter as well. I like to mix it up and not cook low carb every night as I prefer to throw in some starchy carbs 1-2 times a week for balance. This is a very light refreshing meal with the mango salad and is probably more of a summertime dish but we have had some mild weather here again so it was a nice dish that did not over heat the house to much. This dish contains approximately 17g of carbohydrates per serving and 42g protein, if you want to add some carbs to make this more filling just toss some rice noodles in with the salad.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup loosely packed coriander leaves
- 180 g snow peas, halved
- 1 large cucumber, seeded, sliced thinly
- 1 1⁄2 cups bean sprouts
Lime and Vinegar Dressing
- 60 ml lime juice
- 60 ml rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- Heat the tablespoon sesame oil in a deep frying pan, cook chicken, in batches, until browned all over about 7-8 Min's. (Do not skip this step, chicken will not brown with sauce and you will end up with unappealing looking legs on your plate.).
- Meanwhile, combine remaining chicken ingredients in a jug.
- Return chicken to pan with stock mixture, bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer, covered, about 25 Min's or until chicken is cooked through.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl, mix the ingredients for the dressing in a jug pour over salad greens and toss through.
- To Serve: Divide chicken and salad among serving plates, drizzle chicken with remaining pan juices if desired.
- I have listed 3-4 on the serving depending on whether you want to serve 2 or 3 drumsticks per person.
I really liked the chicken! I didn't care too much for the mango salad, but that is my fault. I used melon instead of mango. I thought it could use more flavor and the bean sprouts were weird. The chicken was really good. Made for AUS/NZ Swap Fall 2009.
Due to family request I only made the chicken part of the recipe (geeze I was looking forward to that mango salad - even if I did have to use tinned mango cheeks) but was served with steamed veg and Jewelies Smashed Potatoes as per family request. If I can't get to make it with mango salad I would like to make it with steamed rice instead of the potatoes and thicken the sauce with watered down cornflour at the end and serve it over the chicken legs and the rice for the sauce was delicious. Thank you The Flying Chef for one I will be trying again not only with drumsticks but maybe even quarter a small half chicken, made for Edition 7 - Make My Recipe.
Both dishes were very yummy! We enjoyed the flavours in the chicken and the freshness in the salad. I had to change one thing about the recipe, I used Macadamia Nut oil instead of peanuts oil (it was all I had at home) otherwise everything was kept to the written recipe. I kept going back for the salad and Hubby and Little Miss (DD) had seconds of the chicken. Thank you The Flying Chef