1/5 Photos of Spiced Chicken & Couscous
Another addition inspired by one of my favorite cookbooks. The couscous in this is so fragant and flavorful, it is well worth making it alone. Together, they make a wonderful midweek meal in just 30 minutes. (Consider it a very quick trip to Morocco.) Not quite a one dish meal, it is just as simple given the couscous requires no actual cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/3 cups couscous
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 zucchini (medium or large cut into strips, see preparation notes below)
- 2 carrots, cut into 3 inch strips
- 1/4 cup currants or 1/4 cup dark raisin
- 3 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 1To prepare the zucchini, cut into 3 inch logs and split lengthwise in halves. Trim out the soft seeded center. Cut the halves lengthwise into strips about 1/2 inch thick on the outside. For color variation, you can replace one of the zucchini with a yellow summer squash.
- 2Mix together the spices in a small bowl.
- 3Sprinkle 1/3 of the spice blend and rub into the chicken cubes.
- 4In a large saucepan bring the water, broth, hot sauce to a boil. Add in the remaining spice blend. Reduce to a high simmer and cook 3 minutes.
- 5Place the couscous in a covered bowl along with the lemon juice. Add 1 1/3 cups of the hot spiced broth from the saucepan and cover. Let it sit until you are ready to serve.
- 6Add the chicken and carrots to the simmering broth and cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook an additional 2 minutes. (I like my squash fairly crisp, if you prefer it more tender then add it a bit earlier. Just make sure the total cooking time is the same.) Add the currants or raisins and cook for a final minute.
- 7Using a fork fluff the couscous and place the grains on a serving plate.
- 8Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, veggies and raisins to the top of the couscous. (Alternately, you can shape the couscous in a ring and place the meat and vegetables in the center.).
- 9Sprinkle almonds on top.
- 10Serve the spicy broth alongside. If you like a thicker sauce, quickly whisk in a bit of cornstarch or arrowroot into the broth and bring to a quick boil for a minute to thicken.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Chicken & Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (659 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.2
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 522.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 34.3 g