Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I liked this different spice combination and sweet potatoes are a favorite with me. Adapted from BHG.
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (3 lb) whole broiler-fryer chickens
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- In a small bowl, mix together the first 7 ingredients; set aside.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Brush the chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons rub mixture for later use.
- Rub chicken with remaining rub mixture.
- Roast chicken in a 375° oven for 20 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting: Add sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and reserved rub mixture to a mixing bowl; toss to coat.
- Pour apple juice into the roasting pan around the chicken.
- Add the potatoes.
- Continue to cook uncovered for 40-55 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 180-185 and potatoes are tender.
- Let chicken stand, covered, for 10 minutes before carving.
Absolutely delicious. I used chicken parts and followed the recipe exactly as written. Since parts were used it cooked in a shorter time. I have already recommended it to a friend. It will be one of my favorites.I had to use caraway seeds whole as I could not crush them but I like the seeds and as previously mentioned it is delicious.