Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Jamie Oliver's The Naked Chef 2.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 -4 small red chilies, crumbled
- 1 pinch coriander seed, pounded
- 2 cloves, pounded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, pounded
- 1 pinch cumin, pounded
- olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 3 ounces ripe cherry tomatoes, washed, whole
- 20 ounces brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Slowly fry the onions, garlic and spices in a little olive oil soft and translucent.
- Add the anchovies and cherry tomatoes (which you can blanch and remove the skins first if you like.) Shake around and add the sugar, vinegar and salt and pepper at this point.
- Bring to the boil, stir and simmer gently for 30 minutes before seasoning well to taste and transfer to a few small, sterilized airtight jars, rather than a large one, and seal.
- If unopened, the chutney will improve in flavor and last up to a year in your cupboard. Once opened, keep in your refrigerator for 1 to 2 months.