Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here's a version of a recipe my mom used to make! Over the years I've cut back on the amount of spices but still enjoy the combination, whether over ice cream, pound cake, fruitcake, pancakes and even some meats! At times I've even jazzed it up a little with a bit of cherry flavoring, if you know what I mean!
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- Except for the cherries, combine all ingredients in a saucepan & bring to boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat & stir in cherries.
- Cool before serving.
We LOVED this. Made recipe as posted, except left out the salt. Used it on pancakes this morning, and vanilla ice cream, at night. Great variation of spices here, that enhanced the taste even more. Made for PRMR tag.
AWESOME! I only used a pinch of the allspice and cloves, used the cinnamon, and added a cinnamon stick for extra flavor. This is great! Next time I'll add some amaretto. mmmmm...... Made for PRMR. Thanks for posting.
I love tart cherries, so this was pretty much a sure thing for me. I love the addition of spices, and I also added a bit of kirschwasser. I simmered it for a bit longer than written to thicken it up a bit. Fabulous on vanilla ice cream! Thanks for posting!