Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I put together after trying to come up with something for an appetizer using ground chuck and cheese. I had the ingredients in the fridge and needed it for a party that night. These were easy, I tasted as I went to make sure of the flavor. Surprisingly, they were a hit!
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground savory
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes (to taste, I like it hot)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 loaf bread, cocktail size, desired flavor
- Brown ground chuck in large skillet, until just done. Drain and set aside.
- At a medium heat, add olive oil to skillet. Saute onions, peppers and celery, until soft.
- Add parsley, salt, black pepper, cumin, savory, pepper flakes, paprika, and cloves, stirring well.
- Add meat back into skillet with onion/spice mixture.
- Add water, Worcestershire and soy sauces.
- Mix well and bring back to a medium heat.
- Slice Velveeta cheese and lay on top of meat mixture. Scatter monterey jack and cheddar cheeses on top and cover. Heat mixture until cheese starts to melt. Now stir in cheese and keep heating until all cheese is melted.
- At this time, preheat your oven broiler.
- Take your bread pieces and place them on a baking sheet and broil them until toasted.
- Remove from oven, spoon meat mixture onto bread pieces.
- Top meat mixture with desired topping: cheddar cheese, seasoned bread crumbs, or nothing.
- Place back under broiler for a few seconds or until cheese is melted or crumbs are toasted.