Recipe by Pinay0618
From Cooking Club of America: "Chai tea, made with black India tea, spices and milk, is so popular today that we combined the flavors to make a silky pudding. This makes a perfect dessert for an Asian- or Indian-style menu."
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole cardamom seed
- 1 whole star anise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 english breakfast tea bags
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted*
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, combine water, cloves, cardamom, star anise and ginger. Bring to a boil. Add tea bags; remove from heat. Let steep 10 minutes. Remove tea bags (do not squeeze).
- In large bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the sweetened condensed milk and cornstarch; whisk until well blended. Stir in remaining sweetened condensed milk. With fine strainer, strain hot tea mixture into milk mixture; stir to mix. Discard spices. Return tea mixture to same saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Beat egg yolks in medium bowl. Slowly whisk hot pudding into yolks. Return mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 30 to 60 seconds, stirring gently.
- Spoon into 6 (10-oz.) individual serving dishes. Cover; refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Garnish with almonds. Store in refrigerator.
- TIP *To toast almonds, heat oven to 350°F Spread almonds on baking sheet; bake 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.