Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious tea drink, nice served either hot or cold!
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups milk
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 12 black peppercorns
- 12 whole cloves
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks, broke into pieces
- 1 star anise
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 3 slices fresh gingerroot
- 4 black tea bags
- 6 tablespoons honey (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix together water and milk in large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Add cardamom pods, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon stick, anise, nutmeg, ginger root, and tea.
- Remove from heat and steep for 15-20 minutes, according to how strong you like your tea.
- Carefully strain tea through strainer into another pot to remove spices.
- Stir in honey, mixing well to dissolve; mix in vanilla extract.
- Pour into cups and serve warm, or chill and serve cold.
Sue, WONDERFUL!! Made it this evening and loved it beyond words. I did not have nutmeg and star anise at home, so, I didnt use those. Also, I substituted the tea bags with fresh tea leaves. I scaled the recipe down to 1 serving and just love it! It has a GREAT burst of flavour. Next time I'll have it cold, but, hot, it is just MARVELLOUS!
This is really outstanding Sue! We have just finished making a batch and can hardly wait to start on the next one. The honey and vanilla are the crowning glory on this drink. So sweet, so comforting and so very very good!
Excellent! We have a visitor from India and he says this is the best chai he has ever tasted. Even children love it. Don't forget to use good quality tea (St.Michael's Extra Strong tea is great) for best results.