Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
From Chef on a Shoestring's Greek menu. This sounds heavenly with ground walnuts and mint. Easily scaled down or up. Time does not include one hour sitting time.
- 8 large carrots
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons ground walnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup shredded of fresh mint
- Shred the carrots.
- Combine the carrots, garlic, walnuts, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, olive oil, lemon juice and salt to taste in a serving bowl.
- Cover and let stand for one hour at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
- Just before serving, toss in the mint and serve.
Unique flavors and oh so good! Love the spices.
Very unusual and a great way to use up the spearmint we've got growing in our garden! I must admit that I like the carrot orange and peanut salad I posted some time back better as a use for shredded carrots, but this is some good!
I only had about a cupful of baby carrots, so made a mini-version, and...oh WOW!!! I wish I could tell you how good this is after it sits and let the flavors "swap around," as Huck Finn said, but I can't, because I have eaten it all up, right out of the food processor! Now, without changing any of these ingredients, what I did was make a creamy pate'-like spread out of it all, simply by pulsing that blade many times. Let me assure you all, it makes a FAB spread for toasted pita wedges! Thanks, MarraMamba!