My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 6 cups peeled carrots (about 7 large)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup diced peeled tan-skinned sweet potato (not yam)
- 3 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 9 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- almond and ginger matzo balls, recipe posted separately (Almond and Ginger Matzo Balls)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Melt margarine in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add carrots, onion and sweet potato.
- 3Saute until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- 4Add 2 3/4 teaspoons cumin, paprika, cayenne and cinnamon; stir 1 minute.
- 5Add 8 cups broth and bring to boil.
- 6Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- 7Puree soup in small batches in blender until smooth.
- 8Return to same pot.
- 9Mix in remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- 10Thin soup with all or part of remaining 1 cup broth.
- 11Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- 12Refrigerate until cold; then cover and keep refrigerated at least 1 day and up to 3 days.
- 13Rewarm soup over medium heat and ladle into bowls; add matzo balls and sprinkle with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup With Almond and Ginger Matzo
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.1
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 148.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 7.0 g