Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This combination of carrots and lentils is so tasty and the spices give just a hint of zing to this delicious thick "stick to your ribs" Soup Its so easy to make and freezes well
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600 g carrots, Grated
- 140 g lentils, split red
- 1 liter stock, Vegetable
- 125 ml milk
- Heat a large saucepan and dry- fry the cumin and chilli flakes just long enough to release the aromas - dont brown them. Save half to sprinkle over the soup when you are ready to serve.
- Add the oil, carrots (grated), lentils, stock, milk, salt (I use sea salt) and fresh ground pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. When slightly cooled, blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle the remaining cumin on the soup, serve with either crusty bread or Naan bread.
Very good. Lentil soups often taste bland-ish to me, so I used 1/2 ts of chili flakes and blended all the cumin seeds into the soup - oh, lovely! Thank you for sharing!
A really good soup. Warm and filling. Quick and easy to make. I pureed the soup with a hand blender. A little too spicy for my five year old, but my more adventerous two year old loved it!