Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my mom's recipe; I don't know where she got it, but she sent them to me in personal 'care packages' for many, many years. They are very quick and easy to make, and they taste delicious.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -3 cups nutmeats (Best with walnuts! But works well with pecans or skin-on whole almonds)
- Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon and milk.
- Cook slowly to soft ball stage (236-240 degF).
- Remove from heat.
- Immediately add vanilla and nuts.
- Stir carefully until coating loses its gloss and is creamy.
- Turn out on wax paper.
- and spread out nuts using 2 forks, being careful not to get burned.
- Cool to room temperature before storing.
Best spiced nut recipe on the Zaar. The easiest to make nuts which can be put on fruit salads made with romaine, cantaloupe, green grapes, cranberries , fresh pineapple chunks and poppy seed dressing. Great for a treat to take on trips or vacation. I suggest roasting the nuts in the oven before mixing with syrup to get the maximum flavor.
I think I know where this recipe comes from, it's The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. My mom used it faithfully when I was a kid, and now I have a mangled, stained copy of my own. I've decided to make all the treats in our kid's stockings this Christmas, and this is one of the recipes I plan on using.
You need a candy thermometer but if you have one, this is very easy to make. This is the best spiced nut recipe I have found. The nuts are delicious!