Recipe by Terese
This works as a great side dish for any curry.
Top Review by sams1
A great side dish. didn't think it would be so hot - but reading over the recipe just now - I didn't notice the de seed the chilli's - so my bad, That being said, no left overs and everyone loved it! Thank you for posting.
- 1⁄2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cm fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 green chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 500 g green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 20 g unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli in a food processor and whiz until finely chopped but not blended to a paste, or chop together with a knife.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a low heat and fry the onion mixture until softened but not browned.
- Add the cumin seeds and tumeric to the pan and stir for 1 minute.
- Mix the cabbage, stirring thoroughly until all the leaves are coated in the yellow paste.
- Add the salt, pepper, ground cumin, coriander and chilli powder.
- Stir to coat the cabbage, then cook for 10 minutes with the pan partially covered, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is soft.
- If the cabbage becomes too dry and starts sticking to the pan, add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Stir in the butter and season with salt.