Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got the original recipe from Food Network Kitchens, but I changed the spices to suit my family. This a great way to warm up on chilly Autumn nights.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces canned plum tomatoes with basil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled & cut into cubes
- 16 ounces garbanzo beans or 16 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 lime
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and add onion. Saute onion until soft and caramel colored. Add garlic, tomatoes, cinnamon, allspice, and crushed red pepper until tomatoes break down. Add butternut squash, garbanzos, broth, and raisins. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Add spinach, lime juice and season to taste.
- Serving suggestions: top with sliced almonds, or serve on top of whole wheat couscous or basmati rice.