Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very good squash soup with a few spices to make it just delectable -
- 1 buttercup squash, about 3 lb
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cut squash into chunks. In water, boil squash and onion about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Put back on stove and add rest of ingredients. Simmer until heated through.
Wonderful "fall-flavored" soup! I attempted to make this a bit easier by roasting the squash (cut in half vertically, remove seeds, cut sides down in 1" of water at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, allowing it to cool a bit before removing flesh with a large spoon) and, because I was not boiling peeled squash pieces, I sauteed the onion in a bit of olive oil until soft. I confess to not adding the tomato paste only because I had none in the house at the time. The squash is creamy enough in texture that I used non-fat milk in the preparation. Thank you for this recipe!