- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled, cut into thin slices, then each slice cut into strips
- 4 whole green cardamom pods, smashed
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium carrots, peeled, cut on deep diagonal into 1/3-inch-thick ovals (about 14)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (may need more)
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, ginger, cardamom pods with seeds, and garlic; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is soft, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.
- Add carrots; stir to coat.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high, and boil until butter glazes carrots, tossing occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Do ahead Can be made 2 hours ahead. Rewarm over medium heat, adding more broth by tablespoonfuls as needed.