Recipe by Sackville
Some Ethiopian recipes call for spiced butter or ghee. Here is one way to make your own. I presume if you have access to ghee (sold in the Indian section of your supermarket), you could skip the first few steps, making this recipe much easier!
- 2 lbs butter
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 slices onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the chopped ginger, garlic and onion together.
- Melt the butter over low heat, skimming the foam from the top of the melting butter, until it is clarified.
- Add onion mixture and spices and stir gently
- for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the spices settle.
- Strain and use as needed.