Recipe by mollypaul
Use this either as a hearty, main dish salad or as a side dish.
Top Review by Chef Kate
Excellent salad! Really a great use of bulgar and a very pleasant, rich tasting spice mix. There's no heat--so some might wish to add a little bit of chili or some cayenne. I used currants and realize that it would have been better with raisins--a little more of a bite. Makes four generous servings. Thanks, Molly!
- 5 ounces bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 inches section fresh ginger, peeled and very finely chopped (you want a piece about the size of a woman's pinky finger)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (sub sunflower seeds if pine nuts are unavailable)
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, stemmed and chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, stemmed and chopped
- 1 bunch mint, stemmed and chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the bulgur in a frypan over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring, until it is turning golden and it starts to pop slightly.
- Pour into a bowl, add boiling water, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the frypan over medium heat; add the onions, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice and ginger.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cooked and seasoned onions, celery, red pepper, chickpeas, sultanas, pine nuts and most of the herbs to the bulgur mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, and fold everything together.
- Garnish with the remaining herbs.