Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an old British Recipe, not to be confused with Bread and Butter Pudding. Bread Pudding is almost like a spicy cake rather than a dessert.
- 11 ounces whole meal bread, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 ounces butter, softened
- 4 ounces raisins
- 2 ounces other dried fruit such as chopped apricots, blueberries, cherries etc
- 4 ounces brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 190 °C / 375 °F / Gas 5.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread and milk. Leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Press into a greased oblong sandwich tin, approximately 23 cm x 20 cm (9 x 8 inch).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Leave in the tin to cool, then turn out and cut into squares.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container or in foil and eat within 2 days.