Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
I don't know where this recipe comes from, but I think it looks very interesting.
For the filling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup golden brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup mild light molasses
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel (finely grated)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
For the dumplings
- 1 1⁄2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine (chilled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes)
- 3⁄4 cup non-dairy milk substitute
- 1 cup whipping cream or 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients in a 12 inch skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the berries get soft and the mixture thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- To prepare the dumplings whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the butter and mix with a fork until the butter flour mixture resembles fine meal.
- Add the milk and stir until just blended. This should produce a sticky dough.
- Drop by tablespoons full into the simmering berry mixture, placing the dough balls close together.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low; cover the skillet and simmer until the dumplings are firm and tester inserted into them comes out clean -- about 25 minutes.
- Scoop warm dessert into bowls. Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.