3 hrs 16 mins
3 hrs 6 mins
TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
May/June issue of Organic Style Magazine features three beautiful fresh berry desserts, including this Blueberry Fool. (A fool is an English dessert that is made of sweetened, crushed fruit, folded into whipped cream.) I don't know why it is called "Fool". Fresh berries are my passion, as a dessert, after a "meat" main course. Berries are light, refreshing and aid digestion. Some people do not fancy having fruit with a meat course, but will appreciate fruit desserts. Your guests will love you for it. The Cook Time of 3 hours, 10 minutes, includes 3 hours, minimum chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 1 tbsp. (or sugar substitute)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs mint, for garnish
- 1In a large saucepan, combine the blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute), and lemon juice.
- 2Cook, stirring all the while, over low heat until the sugar dissolves and the berries start to give off liquid- about 2 minutes Increase heat to medium-high and simmer until the berries have broken down- about 4 minutes.
- 3Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger.
- 4Strain the berry mixture through a fine mesh sieve, pushing hard on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- 5Discard the solids- (You will have 1 to 1-1/2 cups liquid, depending on the juiciness of the berries).
- 6Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hours.
- 7Chill 4 parfait, or tall wine glasses (use champagne flutes, if you have them, as an impressive touch for a formal dinner).
- 8In a large bowl, whip the cream with the remaining tbsp sugar (or sugar substitute) and the vanilla, until stiff.
- 9Stir 1/4 of the blueberry mixture into the cream to lighten and gently fold in the rest of the mixture.
- 10Spoon into the chilled glasses, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours, and up to 8 hours.
- 11Just before serving, garnish with a pinch of chopped ginger and a sprig of mint.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Blueberry Fool
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.2
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 81.5 mg
- Sodium 23.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: