Really good and spicy bean dish that goes well with grilled beef and pork. Add a few splashes of hot sauce towards the end of cooking time.( Without the bacon, this is very good as a vegetarian dish; OR, an ounce or two of chorizo sausage can be used instead of bacon)
- 3 (16 ounce) cans black beans, 2 cans drained and rinsed, 1 can undrained
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 jalapenos or 3 serrano peppers, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Sauté the bacon until almost crispy, don't drain.
- Add vegetables, spice blend, garlic and bay leaf. Stir and simmer until veggies are tender.
- Add the beans, coffee, rum, curry, lime juice.
- Simmer until hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.