Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
For beetroot lovers! A delicious, very low calorie, VERY low fat (0.1g!) side dish to accompany any main course. I found this recipe in Karen Meyer's 'The Artful Vegetarian' and I have adapted it slightly in posting it for the Healthy for the Holidays Challenge.
- 3 beetroots
- 0.25 ml ground cayenne pepper
- 0.25 ml ground paprika
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 9.85 ml honey
- 4.92 ml cracked black pepper
- Greek yogurt, to serve (optional)
- Place the unpeeled beetroots on a baking tray and bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a skewer.
- Cool the beetroots until they are cool enough to handle, and wear gloves if you don't want to end up with beetroot-coloured hands! Peel and dice the beetroots. (see Note).
- Combine the diced beetroot with the remaining ingredients in a pan over a gentle heat, and toss for 4-5 minutes, or until heated through; and serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt (optional).
- NOTE: If you'd like an easy recipe for making your own vegetable stock - my Vegetable Stock Recipe #135453 - start by saving the peel from the beetroots!
Nice and spicy. This is one of those dishes that you keep tasting after you've swallowed a bite. I don't really like cider vinegar and didn't want to buy some just for one dish so I used lemon juice instead.
Much spicier than I had expected, perhaps my "pinch" was too big for the cayenne. For sure, I would always serve this with yogurt on the side. Thanks for posting this version, bluemoon downunder! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders Tag.
A taste sensation! I love beets and this is excellent. I had baked a ton of beets about a week ago and froze them so I defrosted one container to make into this and was excellent. Like the honey in this. Thanks bluemoon downunder for another winner! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders!