Recipe by bluemoon downunder
For beetroot lovers! A delicious, very low calorie, VERY low fat (0.1g!) side dish to accompany any main course. I found this recipe in Karen Meyer's 'The Artful Vegetarian' and I have adapted it slightly in posting it for the Healthy for the Holidays Challenge.
Top Review by Tassiechick
Nice and spicy. This is one of those dishes that you keep tasting after you've swallowed a bite. I don't really like cider vinegar and didn't want to buy some just for one dish so I used lemon juice instead.
- 3 beetroots
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Greek yogurt, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the unpeeled beetroots on a baking tray and bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a skewer.
- Cool the beetroots until they are cool enough to handle, and wear gloves if you don't want to end up with beetroot-coloured hands! Peel and dice the beetroots. (see Note).
- Combine the diced beetroot with the remaining ingredients in a pan over a gentle heat, and toss for 4-5 minutes, or until heated through; and serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt (optional).
- NOTE: If you'd like an easy recipe for making your own vegetable stock - my Vegetable Stock Recipe #135453 - start by saving the peel from the beetroots!