Recipe by loof
This recipe came from the "Stew Pot" section of the cookbook "365 Easy One-Dish Meals". It is hearty and so flavorful with its unique combination of ingredients and spices.
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large onions
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the onions and separate into rings. Peel and slice the potatoes and carrots 1/2" thick.
- In a deep 6-quart casserole, mix the beer, broth, brandy, Worcestershire, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, marmalade, salt and pepper. Pour 2 cups of this mixture into a measuring cup.
- Layer 1/2 of the onions, potatoes, carrots, prunes, and apricots in the casserole (in the remaining broth). Place the chuck steaks on top. Layer the remaining onions, potatoes, carrots, prunes and apricots on top of the meat. Pour the reserved broth mixture over all.
- Cover and bake 2 hours at 325 degrees.
- Uncover and spoon the gravy from the bottom of the pan over top.
- Cover, return to oven, and bake for 1 hour longer.