Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a very spicy dish, if you prefer a milder taste, simply halve the quantities of coating. you can also serve this into warmed flatbreads or tortilla wraps.
- 14 ounces filet of beef
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon rice wine or 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 ounces cilantro, leaves and stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
For the spicy coating
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare the fillet of beef by hammering it with a meat cleaver or the side of a chinese meat cleaver.
- Slice into wafer thin slices.
- Mix all the ingredients for the spicy coating on a plate. Coat the beef in the spice mix.
- Heat a wok or pan over a high heat and add the peanut oil.
- Add the beef and stir fry for less than one minute until browned and tender. As the beef starts to cook, add the rice wine and season with the soy sauce and a pinch of salt.
- Take off the heat, stir in the cilantro and scallion and serve immediately.
Spicy, indeed, yet not intolerable. You could always decrease the amount of spices the first time you make this. The flavor was excellent. I added some minced garlic, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. I served this over rice. This would go wonderfully with chinese noodles, too. Thanx for sharing!
wonderful recipe! I am not a big beef eater, and dont really make it well. I never measure, so i eyed all the ingredients then cooked as directed. I thought it was a tad salty, so next time i wont add any additional salt, the soy sauce has enough. It was super yummy and not really spicy, but I love heat! I will most definitely be making again!