Prep 1 hr
Cook 11 mins
From BHG's New Diabetic Cookbook. Per serving: 378 calories, 11 g fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 40 g carb, 8 g fiber, 28 g protein
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups couscous
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon snipped mint
- 8 green onions, bias-sliced into 1-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- In a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag, add the first 7 ingredients; seal bag and shake to mix up the spices.
- Add beef to the bag, seal bag; toss to coat beef; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Stir in couscous; remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato, cucumber, cilantro, and mint; cover to keep warm.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add in green onions; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove green onions from skillet.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet; add in half the beef.
- Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or to desired doneness; remove from skillet.
- Repeat with remaining oil and beef; return all beef to skillet; heat through.
- To serve, equally divide couscous mixture among 5 plates.
- Top each with beef mixture and green onions.