Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is one of my favourite crock pot recipes. With the addition of cloves and brown sugar, it's a deliciously different way to prepare beef. Very reminiscent of the English Spiced Beef my husband's grandmother used to make. I serve this with hot buttered noodles or small roasted potatoes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bottled beef gravy, sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- Place meat in crock pot.
- Stick one clove into each quartered onion.
- Place in crock pot with meat.
- Sprinkle with sugar and salt, and toss to coat.
- Combine gravy sauce, vinegar, bay leaf, thyme and water.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until tender.
- Turn control to high.
- Mix flour with a small amount of water to form a thin paste.
- Stir into meat juices.
- Cook, covered, on high for 15 to 20 minutes until sauce has thickened.
I liked the tanginess of the vinegar and the spice from the cloves. I wasn't sure what beef gravy sauce was so I used beef base. Yummy recipe!