Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
In 'The French Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 3 large carrots, peeled and each cut into 3 pieces
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) beef brisket, trimmed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place the onions, carrots, and turnips in a large slow cooker.
- Pat the meat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet; add the beef and brown it well on both sides, about 15 minutes.
- Place the beef on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Add the beer, sugar, vinegar, mustard, and cinnamon to the skillet and cook, scraping the bottom of teh pan, until the liquid comes to a simmer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; pour the liquid over the brisket.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, or until the meat is very tender when pierced with a fork.
- Slice the beef, spoon the sauce over the meat and vegetables, and serve.