8 hrs 45 mins
In 'The French Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 3 large carrots, peeled and each cut into 3 pieces
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) beef brisket, trimmed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Place the onions, carrots, and turnips in a large slow cooker.
- 2Pat the meat dry with paper towels.
- 3Sprinkle it with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Heat the oil in a large skillet; add the beef and brown it well on both sides, about 15 minutes.
- 5Place the beef on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- 6Add the beer, sugar, vinegar, mustard, and cinnamon to the skillet and cook, scraping the bottom of teh pan, until the liquid comes to a simmer.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste; pour the liquid over the brisket.
- 8Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, or until the meat is very tender when pierced with a fork.
- 9Slice the beef, spoon the sauce over the meat and vegetables, and serve.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Beef Brisket With Carrots and Turnips
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.1
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 123.0 mg
- Sodium 253.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 42.5 g