Recipe by Oolala
From a Better Homes and Gardens and Planters Peanut Oil recipe booklet (1990). Careful for peanut allergies. You can always use a vegetable oil if there is an allergy.
- 4 lbs beef brisket
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 6 large carrots, cut into sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the beef with the garlic.
- In a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven, brown beef in hot peanut oil. Drain off the fat.
- Stir together the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and salt and pour over the meat.
- Add celery leaves and onions. Bring to boiling: reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2 hours.
- Add the carrots and cook 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer beef and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim off fat from juices in the Dutch oven. Boil the juices, uncovered, 5-8 minutes or till reduced to about 1 cup.
- Serve juices with the meat.