The spicy chimichurri sauce dresses up this Brazilian-style steak sandwich...and it's not to be left out! Adapted from "The Complete 15-Minute Gourmet" by Paulette Mitchell. Note: I posted the complete recipe for the Chimichurri Sauce. It could be halved, but if making the full batch, use the left overs for other grilled meats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces boneless beef sirloin, thinly sliced and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups yellow onions, cut in thin lengthwise slivers
- 24 inches pita bread rounds
- 1/2 cup chimichurri sauce (recipe follows)
- 1Stir together the coriander, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the sirloin strips and lightly coat with spices.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until well-browned and very tender. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the beef; continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 more minutes or until the beef is just cooked. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- 3While the beef is cooking, stack the pitas on a microwave-proof plate and cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until warm.
- 4Halve each pita to form 2 pockets. Fill with beef and onions. Drizzle each half with about 1 tablespoon chimichurri sauce. Serve while warm.
- 5For the Chimichurri Sauce: Process all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. If tasted alone, the sauce will seem very acidic. To adjust seasonings, taste by dipping in a piece of food, such as beef, chicken or fish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Beef and Onion Pitas With Chimichurri Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.5
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 51.0 mg
- Sodium 658.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 26.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: