Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Something different for the ol brown bag!
- 6 lbs beef brisket or 6 lbs sirloin tip steaks or 6 lbs beef eye round
- 3 bay leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 6 ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic, made into a paste with salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 lb cooking salt
- 2 teaspoons saltpeter
- Mix all spices and flavorings together.
- Place beef in a large dish and rub well all over mixture.
- Refrigerate in a covered bowl.
- Repeat this process every day for a week, turning the meat and rubbing in the spices, which will now be mixed with the juices drawn from the meat.
- Tie the meat up firmly and rub a final teaspoon of ground cloves.
- Cover with water and simmer slowly for 6 hours.
- When cool enough to handle remove from the cooking liquid, place in a dish and cover with a weighted plate.
- Slice very thinly and serve.