Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs boneless bear rump roast, well trimmed
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half crosswise
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Place roast in bottom of 3 quart roasting pan with cover.
- With sharp knife, cut 12 slits, 1/2 inch deep, in top of roast.
- Place 1 clove in each slit.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except bacon.
- Pour mixture over roast.
- Arrange bacon slices across roast.
- Insert meat thermometer in roast.
- Cover tightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 F.
- Bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender and internal temperature registers 165 F.
- Remove cover.
- Bake for 15 minutes longer.
- Let roast stand for 10 minutes.
- Carve roast across grain into thin slices.