Prep 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lightly spiced Indian rice. Excellent with meat or chicken curries.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch garam masala
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Rinse rice well in cool water till water runs clear. Soak rice in cool water for 30 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat oil, browning onions over medium heat, then add spices and rice. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add water, bring to boil then lower heat to medium/low and cook covered till water absorbed.