Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Homemade, healthy banana and fruit nut bread with vanilla and spices. A "catch all" recipe for the healthy ingredients in your cupboard. All sugar comes from natural fruit sources. Makes 20 servings. You can mix and match ingredients if you want.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pancake mix (I use Aunt Jemima's Whole Wheat blend Pancake and Waffle Mix, feel free to use anything on hand)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup your favorite nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruit (any)
- 1⁄3 cup soy protein (about one scoop or 100 calories) or 1⁄3 cup protein powder (about one scoop or 100 calories)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed banana (ripe)
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the bottom of a loaf pan or 2 muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mash the bananas. Whisk the egg, egg white, oil, milk, and vanilla extract together with the bananas. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until moistened. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 - 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.