This is a perennial favorite for Thanksgiving! It's adapted from a recipe for Spiced Baked Apples by Lorraine Chausse on allrecipes. The pears make a really lovely presentation for dinner parties and can cook while you eat dinner. The recipe states 6 servings, but you can also halve them and just ladle the sauce over the half. These are yummy served by themselves or with some vanilla ice cream.
My Private Note
whole b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Core the pears and set inside a baking dish. An old fashioned peeler with the pointy tip works well for this.
- 2Combine the craisins, walnuts and orange peel. Set aside.
- 3In a saucepan, combine the rest of the ingredients over medium-low heat for 2-5 minutes or until combined and bubbly.
- 4Take a pinch of your craisin mix and stuff into bottom of each pear. Stir in the rest of the craisin mix into your bubbly sauce.
- 5Ladle the hot sauce into each pear.
- 6Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven till the pears are soft. (Usually 30-40 minutes) Check on the pears halfway through. If they look like they are going to burn, cover with foil till the last 5 minutes.
- 7Let stand at least 5 minutes. Put each pear on a plate then ladle some of the escaped sauce over the pear and drizzle around the plate for presentation.
- 8Tip: If you don't have any orange peel handy, substitute orange juice for the water.
- 9Tip: The sauce will escape through the bottom. Don't sweat it. Just ladle it back in after baking. The nut/craisin mix in the bottom helps with this.
- 10Tip: I know the baking time is a little ambiguous, be we move around a lot and I've made this in several different ovens. It's hard to "kill" these. Just test the pears with a fork. When the tops get that pretty caramel color and they're soft, they're ready.
- 11Tip: This works with any pear, just adjust the baking time depending on the firmness of the pear. Firmer=longer. I like Bartlett pears because they're fat and stand up on their own better.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Baked Pears
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.2
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 61.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 51.5 g
- Protein 1.9 g