Chef mariajane's Note:
Glance at the dessert display in almost any diner and you're likely to see individual dishes of gleaming apples. For a more refined version of this time-honored dessert, peel the top third of the skin and sprinkle with cinnamon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 baking apples, such as Roma Beauty
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1FOR FILLING: Preheat oven to 350°F Spread the pecan halves on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool and chop coarsely. Set aside. Raise the oven temerature to 400°F.
- 2In a small bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Using your fingertips or a wooden spoon, mix to a paste-like consistency. Stir in the pasted nuts, apricots, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- 3TO ASSEMBLE: Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each apple so that it will stand upright. Working from the stem ends and using a sharp knife, core the apples withough piercing the bottoms.
- 4Using a small spoon, stuff the mixture into the cored apples, divide it equally. Smooth the tops and cover just the filling with aluminum foil.
- 5Place the apples in a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the apple juice into the dish. Bake, basting with the dish juices every 15 minutes, until tender when pierced with a knife, 45-60 minutes.
- 6TO SERVE: Transfer the baked apples to a platter or individual serving dishes and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Baked Apples
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.0
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 27.0 mg
- Sodium 9.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 34.2 g
- Protein 1.0 g