Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from a "Taste of Home Light and Tasty" publication--a different mix of spices for a sweet and spicy side dish. You can make this as sweet or as spicy as you want...adjusting the spices accordingly. Carrots are a powerhouse of vitamin A, which helps preseve eyesight and supports the immune system.
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine first 8 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Add honey, lemon juice, and Splenda to the carrots. Bring to a boil. Cook uncovered for 5-10 minutes, until carrots are tender and most of the liquid is evaporated.
Great way to doctor up carrots. I didn't have a cinnamon stick so used 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Very tasty indeed! Thanks for sharing the recipe yogiclarebear. Made for My3Chefs Nov '09.