Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A lovely fragrant curry, good with plain basmati rice and a cucumber and mint salad dressed with fresh lime juice.
- 500 g aubergines
- 500 g sweet potatoes
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons coriander roots, and stems chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 1 large red chili pepper
- 6 fresh lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium red onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon roasted mixed spice (see "Roasted Spice Mix-inch)
- 525 ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 400 g baby spinach leaves, washed
- Cut Aubergines into 1 inch cubes, peel sweet potato and cut also into 1 inch cubes.
- Bruise the lemongrass and cut off the dry top half. Put lemongrass into processor with the coriander root and stems, garlic, ginger, chilli, lime leaves and 2 tbsp water. Blend to a paste.
- In a large fry pan heat 3 tbsp oil until almost smoking. Fry Aubergine in small batches until golden, remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the remaining 1 tbsp oil, when hot add onions and cook, stirring from time to time for about 5 mins until translucent. Add the paste together with the roasted spice mix and cook, stirring for 3-4 mins to release the flavours.
- Pour in the coconut milk, then add the tamarind water, fish sauce and sugar. Stir well, bring to the boil, than add the sweet potato.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 mins, then add the browned aubergine and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan cook the spinach quickly until just wilted. Tip into a sieve and refresh under cold running water and squeeze dry.
- Just before serving add the spinach to the curry and gently warm through. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary with sugar or fish sauce. You are looking for a balance of sweet, sour, hot and salty flavours.