Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is out of my Party and Snack cookbook...prep time includes refrigeration time...
- 4 1⁄2 ounces dried apricots, diced
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 slice bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup oil
Apricot dipping sauce
- 3 ounces dried apricots, diced
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger juice
- Soak 4 1/2 oz diced apricots in the brandy for 1 hour.
- Soak bread in 4 tablespoons of water, squeeze out water, set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the ground beef, onion, bread, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and egg. Using hands, knead mixture until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Remove meatball mixture from refrigerator. Take a heaped teaspoon of mixture and roll into a ball with wet hands. Flatten slightly and press thumb in center to form a deep depression.
- Place 1/4 tsp soaked apricots in center and remould into a ball, covering the apricot. Place on a flat tray and continue to roll the remainder.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- For the dipping sauce:.
- Place diced apricots and water in a small pan with any remaining brandy-soaked apricots. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until very soft.
- Stir in sugar, vinegar, teriyaki sauce, and simmer 2 minutes.
- Puree in a blender or food processor.
- Stir in the fresh ginger juice and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan.
- Fry meatballs in 2-3 batches, rolling them around the pan to cook all over and keep their shape (about 4-5 minutes each batch).
- Drain on paper towels.
- Place on a heated serving platter, with dipping sauce in the center and toothpicks for serving.