Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a lovely pie to make. Very simple and full of fruit.
- 2 (825 g) cansdark plums in light syrup
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar (see note)
Spiced yoghurt cream
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 F). Grease 26 cm (10.5 inch) pie dish or deep 1.25 litre (5 cup) rectangle dish.
- Drain plums and reserve 1 cup of syrup.
- Halve plums, discard stones, place plums in prepared dish.
- Combine reserve syrup, apricots, cinnamon, cloves, mixed spice and ginger in medium saucepan.
- Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced to ½ cup.
- Note : if your apricots are a little tart, add the sugar to the saucepan.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick and cloves. Cool mixture to room temperature. Pour mixture over plums.
- Cut the pastry into 2.5cm strips. Brush edge of pie dish with some of the egg. Press pastry strips around edge of dish. Place remaining strips in lattice pattern over pie. Brush with remaining egg.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until pastry is browned lightly. If pastry starts to brown too quickly, cover with foil for the last 10 -15 minutes of baking time.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with spiced yoghurt cream.
- Spiced yoghurt cream : Combine ingredients in a small bowl.