Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
Sweet, moist and reminiscent of apple pie flavor, these pancakes are like eating dessert for breakfast. Serve hot with butter, maple syrup or warm apple topping for a hearty treat.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle to medium heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk one egg until frothy. Then add applesauce, vegetable oil, water and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and whisk in the wet ingredients all at once.
- Using a 1/4 cup sized measuring cup, pour batter onto the hot, greased skillet/griddle over medium heat, leaving enough space between each pancake for them to expand. With the bottom of your measuring cup or the back of a spoon, spread out the batter in a circular motion until pancake is an even layer.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes or until surface begins to bubble and edges appear slightly dry. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with butter and maple syrup (or your choice of syrup).