Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My toddler loves these slightly spiced, healthy, bite-size muffins.
- 3⁄4 cup white whole wheat flour (all the nutrition of whole wheat, not nearly the "bite." its taste is sweeter and more mild, due to )
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal (ground flax seed, found in the "nutritional" isle at many grocers)
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (more or less to taste)
- 1 egg, beaten (or egg substitute)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (substitute 2 tbsp applesauce OR 2 tbsp oil for a vegan alternative)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar (for sprinkling on top of muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the dry ingredients in small bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients in large bowl, and then add dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray and measure the (slightly sticky) batter into the tins by the tablespoon (don’t use muffin liners, the dough sticks too much).
- Sprinkle each muffin with a bit of light brown sugar to coat the top (don’t skip this step if you don’t have to, the brown sugar adds a lovely touch to the muffins).
- Bake for 10 minutes, let them sit in the tin for a couple of minutes and then move the muffins to a rack to cool completely.
- Alternative: bake in a loaf pan for 55-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Read more about White Whole Wheat Flour here: www.azcentral.com (it's an informative atricle).
Very good little muffins, and healthy, too! Didn't have a mini muffin tin, so made full size. Adopted for Spring 2008 PAC.