Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'm on a search for the best homemade applesauce. Here is one that I've tried from Quick Cooking - I make it in a crock pot instead of on top of the stove. Add more or less sugar depending on your preference.
- 16 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from the heat; mash apples to desired consistency.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 8 cups.
I made half of the recipe and used regular apples I had sitting around. I didn't have allspice but it was still a great recipe for applesauce. Thanks!
Great recipe! I made a half recipe using up the various apples I had leftover in the fridge-4 Gala, 1 Fuji and 1 giant red delicious. I used 1/8 cup sugar and 1/8 cup Splenda, cooked on the stovetop for about an hour, then used the immersion blender. Would be good also with some oatmeal crisp topping...may try that with some of the leftovers. Made and reviewed for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup.
yum. easy and delicious. we just went apple picking and used a variety of fresh apples, and i added ginger, left out the sugar and used water.