Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This lucious dessert invokes warm memories of growing up in a home where there might not have been much money, but love was in great abundance. Suggested accompaniments include, ice cream, whipped cream, hot or cold custard, sweetnened ricotta cheese and spiced mascarpone. Yummm...
- 850 g granny smith apples
- 30 g butter
- 78.07 ml raisins
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml water
- 2 eggs
- 1 finely grated lemon, zest of
- 59.14 ml self raising flour
- 59.14 ml cornflour (cornstarch)
- sifted icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350*F (180*C).
- Peel core, and slice the apples into eights (slicing through the middle ways, so that the slices stay in rounds).
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the apples slices and cook, stirring occasionally, over high heat for 7 minutes, or until browned.
- Add the raisins, lemon juice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, half the sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves and spoon the apple mixture into a deep 2 litre round ovenproof casserole.
- To make the sponge topping, beat the eggs, remaining sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl with electric beaters for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Sift together the flours and fold into the creamy mixture with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the sponge topping over the apples and bake for 30 minutes, or until the sponge is well risen and golden.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Best eaten immediately.
This was exactly what i was looking for. So tasty and kinda chewy too! As i used golden delicious apples i reduced the sugar by half. Will deffo make this again!
I was a little shy with the correct amount of granny smith apples so I used a mixture of granny smith and gala apples. The apples were cooked in a cast iron skillet and instead of transferring to another dish; the sponge was poured over all and placed in the oven. Unfortunately during the clean-up process, I discovered that I had omitted the raisins. Hopefully I will remember them next time around. Served this topped with frozen vanilla yogurt.