1/1 Photo of Spiced Apple Sponge
This lucious dessert invokes warm memories of growing up in a home where there might not have been much money, but love was in great abundance. Suggested accompaniments include, ice cream, whipped cream, hot or cold custard, sweetnened ricotta cheese and spiced mascarpone. Yummm...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350*F (180*C).
- 2Peel core, and slice the apples into eights (slicing through the middle ways, so that the slices stay in rounds).
- 3Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the apples slices and cook, stirring occasionally, over high heat for 7 minutes, or until browned.
- 4Add the raisins, lemon juice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, half the sugar and 1/2 cup water.
- 5Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
- 6Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves and spoon the apple mixture into a deep 2 litre round ovenproof casserole.
- 7To make the sponge topping, beat the eggs, remaining sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl with electric beaters for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture is light and creamy.
- 8Sift together the flours and fold into the creamy mixture with a metal spoon.
- 9Spoon the sponge topping over the apples and bake for 30 minutes, or until the sponge is well risen and golden.
- 10Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- 11Best eaten immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Apple Sponge
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.7
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 109.0 mg
- Sodium 94.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 62.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of