Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
My family loves this pork roast! The applesauce recipe can be doubled if desired.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3 -4 lbs rolled boneless pork loin roast (about)
- 2 garlic cloves, cut into lengthwise strips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Set oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients; set aside.
- Cut slits in top of roast; insert the garlic strips.
- Combine flour, salt, sugar, pepper and mustard; rub over roast.
- Place the roast on a rack, in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered at 350°F, or until a meat thermometer reads 160°F.
- Brush applesauce mixture (this mixture can be doubled if desired) over the roast during the last half hour of baking.
- Remove the roast to serving platter; slice.
I made this in my slow-cooker and it turned out wonderfully. I loved the sweetness w/ the mustard, vinegar and cloves. I took your suggestion about doubling the applesauce mixture (I increased it by 50%). Nice and tender w/ great flavor. I'll make this again; thanx!
Coming from a British background, I always serve roast pork with applesauce so I knew that I would like this variation! The contrast of the sweet & savoury was quite tasty & the flavour of the cloves was barely discernible. Since I had a 2 lb roast, I scaled the recipe in half & it was cooked to perfection in 80 minutes. Thanx Kitten!