Recipe by C Powell
A marvelous breakfast for oatmeal lovers and others. I used regular oatmeal, cooked for about 20 minutes and one tbsp of molasses and one tsp of Slenda, a sugar substitute. You can use more nutmeg, up to 1/2 tsp.
Top Review by Anu
Whew! An extremely filling and nutritious breakfast, but it was a bit too much for me. I halved the recipe and made this in the microwave. I boiled water on HIGH for 3 minutes, and then added 1/8 teaspoon salt (according to package instructions) and oatmeal and cooked for an additional 3 minutes, stirring approximately every 45 seconds. After adding the spices and apple, I cooked for another minute. I omitted the ginger since I'm not too fond of it. I had to use a "sweet" apple because we don't get Granny Smiths here, and so it ended up a bit too sweet for me.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 medium granny smith apples, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook oatmeal in boiling water, according to package instructions.
- When oatmeal is nearly cooked, stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmet and ginger.
- Add chopped apple and cook for about a minute or until the apples are hot.
- Sprinkle with nuts and serve.