Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A deliciously moist cake, it is full of flavour and I challenge anyone not to love this recipe. It is best eaten the day after it is cooked so plan ahead.
- 9 ounces plain flour
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- 5 ounces soft butter or 5 ounces margarine
- 3 ounces sultanas
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 -3 bramley cooking apples
- Pre-heat oven to gas 4 or 180.
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with greasproof paper.
- Peel and core the apples, cut into chunks, place in a pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer until the apples are just starting to soften. Drain and add a little sugar to taste (I prefer the apples to be quite tart). Leave to one side to cool.
- Put all dry ingredients into a large bowl together and mix roughly.
- Next add all wet ingredients at same time, mix until all of the flour mixture is taken up.
- Pour into the loaf tin and cook for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours until browned.
- When the cake is cooked, LEAVE IT IN THE TIN until cool, then wrap in foil.
- This cake is best left until the next day to eat (if you can wait that long!).
This is the first cake I've ever made and all thanks to this easy recipe! It's absolutely delicious, and I'm so glad I waited until the following day to eat it. Honestly, try it!! I've always been a bit scared of baking, but this recipe has inspired me to try more recipes! Thank you for sharing