Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe is taken from the First for Women Magazine, October 2011 Issue... I could not find it online, but wanted to save it in my recipes. Per serving: Cal. 343 Pro. 4g Carb. 61g Fiber 1g Sug. 42g Chol. 3mg Sod. 485mg Total fat: 39g Sat. 6g Trans. 0g
- 4 red apples or 4 green apples, divided
- 1 (14 ounce) box gingerbread cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups apple juice, warm
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced and divided
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Core and chop 1 apple. Prepare cake mix according to directions, using apple juice instead of water. Add chopped apple and 1 Tbs. lemon zest, pour into greased 9" springform pan. Bake 35 minute or until done. Let cool in pan 15 min.; invert onto rack. Let cool.
- 2. In bowl, blend next 4 ingredients, fold in whipped topping. Halve and thinly slice 1 apple; toss with lemon juice. Peel, core and chop 2 apples; microwave 4 minute Let cool.
- 3. Cut cake into 2 layers; place 1 in clean springform pan. Line sides with apple slices. Fill with cooked apples and pudding mixture. Add cake layer. Chill 4 hours/ Garnish with cream and apples if desired.